The Order of Diaconal Ministries, The Presbyterian Church in Canada
The Presbyterian Church in Canada has been setting people apart to do diaconal ministry for over 100 years. The Order of Diaconal Ministries encompasses those designated for service in a broad range of ministry including Christian education, pastoral care and social ministries.
In 1998, Statement of Diaconal Ministries was adopted by the 124 General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
Diaconal Ministers are called to be servants of Jesus Christ.
We believe in a ministry that is spiritual, dynamic, creative and a practical enactment of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
We work collegially in leadership, open to the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, to equip and enrich others for Christian life and service.
We envision a ministry rooted in the life and worship of the whole people of God which emphasizes Christian Education, Pastoral Care and Social Services.
At the same General Assembly, a Diaconal Council was created with the following purpose:
- To provide opportunities for mutual support and spiritual enrichment for all members in accordance with the Statement of Diaconal Ministries.
- To formulate and express the collective views of the members of the Order and concerns for ministry and make recommendations to the General Assembly through the Ministry and Church Vocations of the Life and Mission Agency or other appropriate bodies.
- Anglican Deacons Canada/Angli-Diacres Canada (ADC)
- ASSOCIATION FOR EPISCOPAL DEACONS
- DIAKONIA OF THE UNITED CHURCH OF CANADA
- The Deaconess Community of the ELCA
- THE ELCA DEACONS FOR ECUMENICAL ENGAGEMENT AFFINITY GROUP
- Deacons of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
- Igrea Evangélica de Confissao Luterana no Brasil
- LUTHERAN DIACONAL ASSOCIATION (LDA)
- The Order of Diaconal Ministries, The Presbyterian Church in Canada
- United Methodist Office of Deaconess and Home Missioner
- Wesley Diaconal Community – Methodist Church of the Caribbean and the Americas
Follow Us on Facebook