DIAKONIA OF THE UNITED CHURCH OF CANADA
Diakonia of The United Church of Canada was formed in the early 1980s as an association of diaconal ministers. However, diaconal ministry has roots in our church dating back to 1890s and the formation of the deaconess communities of the Presbyterian and Methodist churches. Diaconal ministers are commissioned to a ministry of Education, Service and Pastoral Care. With ministers who are ordained to Word, Sacrament and Pastoral Care, diaconal ministers constitute one of two streams of ministry in the United Church.
In 2018, DUCCs gathered for a national biennial meeting in Winnipeg. The theme was taken from the DUCC Vision Statement “Courageous Risking.” The biennial national gathering was to be held May of 2020 in the nation’s capital, Ottawa, and the focus was to be “Faith Inspiring Power and Politics.” Instead we met by Zoom.
Work has been completed on renewing the DUCC website. We share news in the community through regular mailchimp connections. Our database has received much attention and now in good shape. We have also participated in a recruitment video from the national church which highlights ministry options.
A group has met to develop Terms of Reference for an Archive Committee. Decisions about collecting our history and documents have been reached.
DUCC is a member in Affirm United.
- Anglican Deacons Canada/Angli-Diacres Canada (ADC)
- ASSOCIATION FOR EPISCOPAL DEACONS
- DIAKONIA OF THE UNITED CHURCH OF CANADA
- The Deaconess Community of the ELCA
- THE ELCA DEACONS FOR ECUMENICAL ENGAGEMENT AFFINITY GROUP
- Deacons of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
- Igrea Evangélica de Confissao Luterana no Brasil
- LUTHERAN DIACONAL ASSOCIATION (LDA)
- The Order of Diaconal Ministries, The Presbyterian Church in Canada
- United Methodist Office of Deaconess and Home Missioner
- Wesley Diaconal Community – Methodist Church of the Caribbean and the Americas
Follow Us on Facebook